DAY 15 – KONA BLOG 2017

Now it’s time to sleep one more night in Hawaii and then the time has come. Race Day. The day will start at 3:30 in the morning for us. All in a well-rehearsed routine. Wake up, make coffee and have a quick shower. Afterwards a breakfast. Either from oatmeal porridge (yes I know, trendy is overnight-oats) or from bars. Depending on what desire is and what goes in. It doesn’t have to be too much anyway. Due to the carboloading of the preceding days, the storage tanks are well filled and only the liver glycogen consumed overnight is to be replenished. Once that’s done, the complicated part comes.

Astrid’s race hairstyle has to be braided so that the hair doesn’t open up during the day and fits well under the helmet. Then apply sunscreen and attach the timing chip to the ankle and secure it with a safety pin. Usually there is still some time left for a couple of relaxing minutes with music on the bed before you go to the bathroom once (or twice or three times). One notices when the body is ready for a race. He doesn’t take anything that doesn’t have to. Then Vaseline is applied, finger-thickly to any spot that could scrub. The salt water or the salt from it otherwise causes painful spots later on. Then the one piece suit is put on, t-shirt over it and off we go to the start. We’ll probably be there around 4:45 – 5:00. Almost two hours before the start. There is still work to be done. Bodymarking, putting the start numbers on your arm, checking your bike, giving up Special Needs to have some of your own food on the track and later on the warm-up program. Around 06:25 Astrid will go into the water, swim to the starting line, do some short sprints so that the body is ready and then wait for the start at 06:40 o’ clock. By the way, waiting means stepping on water, because the water in the starting area is about 5 meters deep. All this will happen under the eyes of 20.000 – 30.000 spectators on the piers, walls and coffee, the helicopters will circle over their heads and the sun will slowly cast its first rays over the volcano. And then the gun crashes and all tension will be released with one blow, because only one thing counts: Forward!

Until then, there is still a little time. Astrid trained on the bike for another 90 minutes yesterday and ran 30 minutes on it and swam for 20 minutes. This was already quite early, because at 11:00 o’ clock an appointment was with the physiotherapy and we had to be at 13:00 o’ clock with the pro briefing. There all rules and changes were explained again. This time there was nothing really new to experience and then we went on the couch. Doesn’t sound like much of a program, but we were busy from 4:40 to 2:30. The whole town is in a state of emergency, as all athletes are on the road, the spectators have already arrived and the construction work begins. It’s very bustling and no sign of rest. So it’s best to stay out of the hustle and bustle. It’s the day Astrid feels least like anyway, because two days before the race the so-called carboloading takes place. It is necessary to fill up the carbohydrate and salt stores and this can be done with food. Besides the normal food, the focus is on 10g carbohydrates / kg body weight. Not always the funniest thing. At the same time, all the equipment for the competition was prepared, the food was prepared and put in place and the power supply of the circuit was ensured. In the evening we went to bed on time as usual.

Today on the last day before the race, we got up again at 04:40. After breakfast I had to make a few phone calls while Astrid took the opportunity to get some sleep. A lot of news has also arrived to wish Astrid every success for tomorrow and she is looking forward to every single one of them. At 08:15 a. m. it was 40 minutes with 2ร—5?70.3-Racepace followed by 15 minutes in the running shoes. Immediately afterwards, the calories are replenished and read. During that time I cleaned the wheel again, checked the tyres for damage and made the gearshift rollers more common.

Around noon Astrid jumped into the pool for another 15 minutes to swim 800m and then put her legs back up again. At 17:15 the wheel is checked in and the change bags are delivered. Now you only have to eat dinner, massage your legs for a short time and then off you go to bed. And when the alarm clock rings, everything that’s on top of this blog happens.

By the way, you can follow the race from 18:35 in the live stream on ironman. com or on zdf. de. For the first time it is also available at (which can also be accessed via app on smartphones, tablets or Smart TV). From 0:25 a. m. – 3:45 a. m. it will also be broadcast live on ZDF television. I think that are the transfers with the most qualified commentators. If you want to keep an eye on Astrid all the time, you can do so with the Ironman Tracker App, which you can download from the App Store on your iPhone or Android device.

Have a great Saturday for you and good night.

Tomorrow is the day we look forward to.

Greetings from the island,


4 thoughts on “DAY 15 – KONA BLOG 2017

  1. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ
    Viel Glรผck!!! GenieรŸe jede Sekunde!!!
    Lg Meike

  2. Viel Erfolg und wir drรผcken in Aachen Dir ganz fest die Daumen fรผr einen guten Wettkampf. Du machst das !!!

    Adieda aus dem Westend

Comments are closed.